Saturday, May 10, 2008

Richmond Deja vu, part 2

I drive to Richmond for a second time, in two days. This time I have an almost 100% guarantee that I'll find the elusive Box of the Month that I desperately tried to find the day before. (By 100%, I mean I'll be going there with the planter, so the only way I wouldn't find it if it's missing!)

So I make plans to meet up with speedsquare, a local letterboxer and planter of the BOM...she will be my tour guide to Richmond for the day. What a wonderfully nice lady speedsquare is! It was like we had been friends for years when I walked into her home. We chatted and did exchanges, and she showed me some stamps she had, and let me stamp them into my logbook. And then soon we took off to letterbox around Richmond. I was able to learn so much about the area and local history from speedsquare...it really was interesting.

We headed for the park where the BOM was located, picking up a couple other stamps that were nearby first. Then the search for the box that haunted me overnight...not really, but it was a frustration the day before when I could not find it to save my life. Speedsquare and I went through the clues together, and after explaining how I read it, and how it may be interpreted, she took some notes and contemplated changing the wording. Maybe it was just confusing for out-of-towners...others seemed to have found it fine. Maybe it was just me. Anyhoo, after a little searching, the box was found (YEA!) and we were on our way.

Next stop was a quiet, beautiful, tucked away cemetery...loved it! And then on to a mystery box. The photo is from the trail we walked along, but I shall say no more, for I do not want to give anything away. I will say this however, it was fun, and clever. Thank you to the planter. ;)

We traveled off to a ball diamond, and then went to find another box I was unable to locate the day before. The clues referred to an "X" and I could not find one. Turns out, the X was made of two limbs on the ground, needless to say they were no longer there, and so the exact point from which to begin looking for the box was too ambiguous. Luckily, speedsquare has a good memory, and we found the area, and then I found the box.

By then it was beginning to get late, and I had a nice drive ahead of me. We said our goodbyes, and I took off for home. Just a little ways into Ohio, the sun began to set. This drive home was much more satisfying than yesterday's. I only wish keepin up with the Jones' was there to enjoy it with me.

No comments: