Thursday, October 16, 2008

the day after

The day after the SOHT event, a letterboxing friend, JBBK, and I went to do a little letterboxing in Chillicothe. There were a few boxes all in the same cemetery, so that was our destination. The cemetery sat up on high ground, giving us a wonderful view of the town below. I only wished that the colors of fall were more prominent in the trees.

The weather was beautiful and we had a nice time following clues, driving all through the place to find certain landmarks...sometimes going back to where we had been before. Silly us. It was fun, and I was in good company, so the day was enjoyable.


There were plenty of interesting mausoleums, and sadly, some had been vandalized. I do not understand how a person can be so disrespectful of an other's burial place, breaking in, destroying the door and leaving trash thrown about. I enjoy visiting cemeteries, I enjoy the serene beauty of them, especially the older ones. I enjoy the history that thrives there, sometimes all too forgotten by too many people. I wish everyone could have more respect in these places. One reason I like to find and plant letterboxes in cemeteries is so people can remember other's pasts, and maybe a gravestone long forgotten will get a visitor now and then.

At the end of our letterboxing day, we came across this bug. A scary looking bug. I was kinda afraid the thing might jump on me. Usually I don't mind bugs too much, unless they have too many legs---don't like them, why on earth does a creature need that many legs? It's unnatural, millipedes, centipedes...they are the creepiest things out there.


Anyway, this bug...I have never seen one like it before. If anyone knows what it is, please share your knowledge. I would love to find out just what it is.




4 comments:

Pioneer Spirit said...

I see you have been wandering around Grandview cemetery.

I can't recall seeing a bug like that, it reminds me of an ant or termite queen before it establishes a nest and is rendered immobile for life. Maybe another third-world stowaway?

Unknown said...

You find such beautiful things while you're out letterboxing. You have a great eye for photography!

Snapdragon Tails said...

Hello I am interested in your blogspot name...I would like to know if you are no longer using it if you would transfer it to me? Google has no way to do this so hopefully you will see this and reply.

Thanks!!

snapdragon said...

I have been on a hiatus from blogging (and letterboxing for that matter) due to life being a little hectic right now....I do not plan on giving it up for good, and so I am going to keep my blogspot name as I will eventually get back to it :)