Tuesday, April 15, 2008

flashback: staying centered


September 3, 2007

One of my favorite letterboxes is one I found in Kansas. Wheathead was the first letterbox placed in Kansas, and was placed there by Der Mad Stamper in 1998. If you are a letterboxer, you should know who Der Mad Stamper is. He is a legend when it comes to letterboxing and the United States. I, ironically, did NOT know who Der Mad Stamper was when I found this box. I had just started letterboxing myself, and had not learned too much letterbox history as of yet. You can read an interview with Der Mad Stamper by Mark and Sue Pepe, who also have a wonderful web site full of letterboxing information.


This particular letterbox in Kansas happens to be in the geographical center of the 48 conterminous United States. That's right, there is a marker erected for this. And a small church. It's not some big tourist trap...more of a very small park in the middle of nowhere. Though, I guess not really the middle of nowhere...it is in the middle of the U.S.! My travel buddy, John, and I had planned on visiting this unusual spot before I even knew there was a letterbox there...the box was just a wonderful bonus to my adventure.


It was a warm day when we crossed the state line from Nebraska into Kansas. We drove down some long and lonely road to reach the center of the United States. It was quiet there. No other traffic, and the only sound I could hear was a dog barking from a nearby farm. We got out of the car and explored the small park and church. It was interesting to read the guest book inside the church. It's amazing to think of how many people searched out this quirky spot like we did. This is not a place you happen upon while driving...you have to be specifically going here. I thought about the many people who visited just because the letterbox is hidden here...and about how many people had no idea a letterbox was hidden here at all.

No comments: